This is the intellectual property law practice of NMLC. Here, local and foreign clients’ intellectual property rights are protected through registration; monitored in relevant periodicals and, where the need arises, enforced according to law before the Intellectual Property Tribunal of Zimbabwe established according to law to deal with cases of infringement of intellectual property rights.
Because of the value of intellectual property rights in the new global knowledge economy, IP has had to be treated as a separate practice area from the traditional areas in which it fell such as Corporate or Property Law.
The IP Counsel meets its set objectives as follows:
- Identifying and advising clients on their existing and potential intellectual property rights through exercises such as IP Audits, IP Valuations and IP Portfolio Management Trainings.
- Registration of substantive intellectual property rights at the Zimbabwe Intellectual Property Office (ZIPO) and or the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO), all of which are conveniently located here in Harare, Zimbabwe,
- Specifically, the Intellectual property rights that are registered and or otherwise transacted are in respect of Copyright; Patents, Industrial Designs, Utility Models, Plant Breeders Rights, Uniforms and Heraldry.
- NMLC will monitor clients’ intellectual property rights against infringement by observing the market we serve as well as reviewing the Zimbabwe Patents and Trade Marks Journal which is published every Wednesday.
- In cases of infringement or other compromise of clients’ intellectual property rights, NMLC will enforce the rights in the Zimbabwe Intellectual Property Tribunal.